Friday, April 15, 2011

The new FCP

So it was announced Tuesday night at NAB. Here is a summary by CNET. I am excited, in part because I think it will handle h.264/MPEG 4 without a problem, but also because I am now being forced to re-think cutting. It has been 11 years working with the same interface. I know it so well I think about constructing programs based on the architecture of the software. Though "re-learning" a tool can be frustrating I do think these kind of challenges help to spark new connections in our heads. There is a lot of static about whether or not this is "pro" and I'm not quite sure what that means. I think about editing and what we really are doing is cutting together stories. Pros tell good stories. I cut film with a razor with none of the fancy tools the most basic editing programs now include. (Well, I never got anywhere with my films so maybe this is a bad example). I will have to use the program and get over the initial hump of being lost until I figure out the UI. This will be my summer project. Everything is going to depend on if the program "works" or not. I remain hopeful and excited to see how well it does work.

No comments: